n.
a breath of (fresh) air
- 新鲜空气;透气
clean air breathed in after being indoors or in a dirty atmosphere
- We'll get a breath of fresh air at lunchtime.
我们午餐时出去透透气。
a breath of fresh air
- 令人耳目一新的人(或事物、地方)
a person, thing or place that is new and different and therefore interesting and exciting
the breath of life to/for sb
- 某人的食粮
an essential part of a person's existence
get your breath (again/back)
- 恢复正常呼吸
to breathe normally again after running or doing some tiring exercise
hold your breath
- 闭气;屏气
to stop breathing for a short time
- Hold your breath and count to ten.
屏住呼吸,数到十。
- 屏息以待;焦虑地等待
to be anxious while you are waiting for sth that you are worried about
- He held his breath while the results were read out.
宣读结果时,他屏住了呼吸。
- 别眼巴巴等着;有你等的
people say don't hold your breath! to emphasize that sth will take a long time or may not happen
- She said she'd do it this week, but don't hold your breath!
她说她这个星期要干,不过你可别因此眼巴巴干等!
in the same breath
- 但紧接着,但同时(意味着与前一段意图或意思相反)
immediately after saying sth that suggests the opposite intention or meaning
- He praised my work and in the same breath told me I would have to leave.
他称赞了一番我的工作,但紧接着却对我说不得不辞退我。
his/her last/dying breath
- 最后一口气;临终;临死
the last moment of a person's life
out of breath
- (运动后)喘不上气,透不过气来
having difficulty breathing after exercise
- We were out of breath after only five minutes.
我们五分钟后便气喘吁吁了。
say sth, speak, etc. under your breath
- 小声地,轻声地(说)
to say sth quietly so that people cannot hear
- ‘Rubbish!’ he murmured under his breath.
“胡说!”他悄悄地小声说。
take sb's breath away
- 令人惊叹;让人叹绝
to be very surprising or beautiful
- My first view of the island from the air took my breath away.
我第一次从空中看到这个岛时,叹赏不已。
with bated breath
- 焦虑;兴奋
feeling very anxious or excited
- We waited with bated breath for the winner to be announced.
我们屏住呼吸等待宣布冠军是谁。
catch your breath
catch your breath
draw breath
draw breath
save your breath
- 免费口舌
used to tell sb that it is not worth wasting time and effort saying sth because it will not change anything
- Save your breath─you'll never persuade her.
不用白费口舌了——你永远说服不了她。
waste your breath
- 白费唇舌
to say sth that nobody takes any notice of