n.
be rushed/run off your feet
- 忙得不可开交;要做太多的事
to be extremely busy; to have too many things to do
fall/land on your feet
- 特别走运;安然脱离困境;幸免于难
to be lucky in finding yourself in a good situation, or in getting out of a difficult situation
feet first
- 脚先着地
with your feet touching the ground before any other part of your body
- He landed feet first.
他落地时双脚先着地。
- 伸腿离开某地(指死去)
if you leave a place feet first , you are carried out after you are dead
- You'll have to carry me out feet first!
想把我撵走,除非让我横着出去!
get/have a/your foot in the door
- 设法加入,涉足(某组织、行业等)
to manage to enter an organization, a field of business, etc. that could bring you success
- I always wanted to work in TV but it took me two years to get a foot in the door.
我一直想做电视工作,但花了两年才进了这个圈子。
get/start off on the right/wrong foot (with sb)
- 开始时关系良好 / 不好
to start a relationship well/badly
- I seem to have got off on the wrong foot with the new boss.
看来我和新老板的关系一开头就不好。
get your feet wet
- 初次涉足;开始做(新鲜的事情)
to start doing sth that is new for you
- At that time he was a young actor, just getting his feet wet.
那时他还是个年轻演员,才初出茅庐。
have feet of clay
- 品格上有缺陷(或弱点)
to have a fault or weakness in your character
have/keep your feet on the ground
- 实事求是;脚踏实地
to have a sensible and realistic attitude to life
have/keep a foot in both camps
- 脚踩两只船
to be involved in or connected with two different or opposing groups
have one foot in the grave
- 行将就木;命不久矣;大去之期不远
to be so old or ill/sick that you are not likely to live much longer
…my foot!
- (完全不同意对方所说)胡说八道
a strong way of saying that you disagree completely with what has just been said
- ‘Ian can't come because he's tired.’ ‘Tired my foot! Lazy more like!’
“伊恩不能来,因为他累了。”“累个屁!说懒还差不多!”
on your feet
- (困境后)恢复,完全复原;(病后)痊愈
completely well or in a normal state again after an illness or a time of trouble
- Sue's back on her feet again after her operation.
休手术后又恢复健康了。 - The new chairman hopes to get the company back on its feet within six months.
新董事长希望在六个月以内使公司恢复元气。
put your best foot forward
- 竭尽全力;全力以赴
to make a great effort to do sth, especially if it is difficult or you are feeling tired
put your feet up
- (尤指架起双腿)坐下休息
to sit down and relax, especially with your feet raised and supported
- After a hard day's work, it's nice to get home and put your feet up.
辛劳一天后回家架起双腿休息是很惬意的。
put your foot down
- 坚决制止;执意反对
to be very strict in opposing what sb wishes to do
- You've got to put your foot down and make him stop seeing her.
你得坚决制止他再见她。
- 踩油门;加速行驶
to drive faster
- She put her foot down and roared past them.
她猛踩油门,从他们旁边呼啸而过。
put your foot in it
- (在语言或行为上)使人不安,冒犯别人,使人尴尬
to say or do sth that upsets, offends or embarrasses sb
- I really put my foot in it with Ella─I didn't know she'd split up with Tom.
我真的冒犯了埃拉——我不知道她和汤姆分手了。
put a foot wrong
- 犯错误;做错事
to make a mistake
- In the last two games he has hardly put a foot wrong.
他在上两局比赛中几乎一点错都没有出。
set foot in/on sth
- 进入,访问,参观(某地)
to enter or visit a place
- the first man to set foot on the moon
第一个登上月球的人 - I vowed never to set foot in the place again.
我发誓再不去那个地方了。
set sb/sth on their/its feet
- 使独立;使成功
to make sb/sth independent or successful
- His business sense helped set the club on its feet again.
他的经营意识使俱乐部又重振雄风。
stand on your own (two) feet
- 自立;独立
to be independent and able to take care of yourself
- When his parents died he had to learn to stand on his own two feet.
他的父母去世后他不得不学会自立。
under your feet
- 阻碍,妨碍(工作等);碍手碍脚
in the way; stopping you from working, etc.
- I don't want you kids under my feet while I'm cooking.
我做饭时不希望你们这些孩子在我这儿碍手碍脚的。
the boot is on the other foot
- 情况正好相反;宾主易位
used to say that a situation has changed so that sb now has power or authority over the person who used to have power or authority over them
get/have cold feet
- 临阵胆怯;畏缩
to suddenly become nervous about doing sth that you had planned to do
- He was going to ask her but he got cold feet and said nothing.
他本来是想向她提出邀请的,可事到临头他却胆怯得什么也没有说。
drag your feet/heels
- 故意拖拉;故意延迟(作出决定)
to be deliberately slow in doing sth or in making a decision
find your feet
- 已能独立而有信心地工作;已适应新环境
to become able to act independently and with confidence
- I only recently joined the firm so I'm still finding my feet.
我最近才加入这家公司,所以还在适应过程中。
not let the grass grow under your feet
- (做事)不拖拉,不磨洋工
to not delay in getting things done
cut the ground from under sb's feet
- 挖某人的墙脚;破坏某人的计划;拆某人的台
to suddenly spoil sb's idea or plan by doing sth to stop them from continuing with it
bind/tie sb hand and foot
bind/tie sb hand and foot
from head to foot/toe
- 从头到脚;遍布全身
covering your whole body
- We were covered from head to foot in mud.
我们浑身是泥。
(get/have) itchy feet
- 渴望旅行(或换个地方、做别的事)
to want to travel or move to a different place; to want to do sth different
have two left feet
- (尤指跳舞或体育运动时)非常笨拙,笨手笨脚
to be very awkward in your movements, especially when you are dancing or playing a sport
the patter of tiny feet
- (用于想要或即将有孩子时)小宝宝的脚步声
a way of referring to children when sb wants, or is going to have, a baby
- We can't wait to hear the patter of tiny feet.
我们恨不得早点有个小宝宝。
pull the rug (out) from under sb's feet
- 突然停止帮助(或支援)
to take help or support away from sb suddenly
the shoe is on the other foot
the shoe is on the other foot
shoot yourself in the foot
- 搬起石头砸自己的脚
to do or say sth that will cause you a lot of trouble or harm, especially when you are trying to get an advantage for yourself
sit at sb's feet
- 崇拜;拜倒在某人脚下
to admire sb very much, especially a teacher or sb from whom you try to learn
in your stocking(ed) feet
- 只穿袜不穿鞋
wearing socks or stockings but not shoes
sweep sb off their feet
- 使某人立刻迷上自己;使某人对自己一见倾心
to make sb fall suddenly and deeply in love with you
think on your feet
- 思维敏捷;反应迅速
to be able to think and react to things very quickly and effectively without any preparation
vote with your feet
- 用脚投票(用去或不去某处表示想法)
to show what you think about sth by going or not going somewhere
- Shoppers voted with their feet and avoided the store.
购物者对那家商店避而远之。
wait on sb hand and foot
- 过分照顾;让…饭来张口,衣来伸手
to take care of sb's needs so well that they do not have to do anything for themselves
walk sb off their feet
- 使走得筋疲力尽
to make sb walk so far or so fast that they are very tired
take the weight off your feet
- (尤指疲乏时)坐下歇歇脚,坐下喘口气
to sit down and rest, especially when you are tired
- Come and sit down and take the weight off your feet for a while.
来坐下歇一会儿吧。
have the world at your feet
- 功成名就;为世人仰慕
to be very successful and admired
v.
foot the bill
- 负担费用
to be responsible for paying the cost of sth
- Once again it will be the taxpayer who has to foot the bill.
这一次掏腰包的又得是纳税人。