ADV 现在;如今 You use now to refer to the present time, often in contrast to a time in the past or the future.
She's a widow now... 她现在是寡妇。
But we are now a much more fragmented society... 但我们现在所处的是一个更加四分五裂的社会。
Beef now costs well over 30 roubles a pound... 牛肉现在卖到了每磅30多卢布。
She should know that by now. 她现在应该知道了。
Now is also a pronoun.
Now is the time when we must all live as economically as possible. 现在到了我们都必须尽可能节衣缩食的时候了。
ADV 马上;立刻 If you do something now, you do it immediately.
I'm sorry, but I must go now... 很抱歉我得马上走了。
I fear that if I don't write now I shall never have another opportunity to do so. 我担心如果我不立即开始写作的话,就永远都不会再有机会了。
Now is also a pronoun.
Now is your chance to talk to him. 现在你跟他说话的机会来了。
CONJ-SUBORD 既然;由于 You use now or now that to indicate that an event has occurred and as a result something else may or will happen.
Now you're settled, why don't you take up some serious study?... 既然你已经安顿下来了,为什么不开始正经地学点东西呢?
Now that she was retired she lived with her sister. 现在她已经退休了,和姐姐一起住。
ADV 这一来;这下 You use now to indicate that a particular situation is the result of something that has recently happened.
Mrs Chandra has received one sweater for each of her five children and says that the winter will not be so hard now... 钱德拉夫人已经收到了5个孩子每人一件的毛衣,她说这下冬天就不那么难挨了。
She told me not to repeat it, but now I don't suppose it matters... 她曾告诉我不要再重蹈覆辙,但这下我认为已经无关紧要了。
Diplomats now expect the mission to be much less ambitious. 这一来外交官们估计这次任务会轻松很多。
ADV (用于讲述故事或过去的事情)这时,这会儿 In stories and accounts of past events, now is used to refer to the particular time that is being written or spoken about.
She felt a little better now... 这时她觉得好点儿了。
It was too late now for Blake to lock his room door... 这会儿布莱克再锁房门已太晚了。
By now it was completely dark outside. 这会儿外面全黑了。
ADV 到现在;迄今 You use now in statements which specify the length of time up to the present that something has lasted.
They've been married now for 30 years... 到现在他们已经结婚30年了。
They have been missing for a long time now... 现在他们已失踪很长一段时间了。
It's some days now since I heard anything. 我已经有一段时间没听到过什么消息了。
ADV (引起听者的注意或改变话题)喂,喏,好 You say 'Now' or 'Now then' to indicate to the person or people you are with that you want their attention, or that you are about to change the subject.
'Now then,' Max said, 'to get back to the point.'... “好吧”,马克斯说,“回到正题上来。”
She stays at school for drama and doesn't get back till nine. Now, what's everyone drinking?... 她留在学校排戏,要到9点才回来。喂,大家要喝什么?
Now then, laddie, what's the trouble?... 喂,老弟,怎么啦?
Now, can we move on and discuss the vital business of the day, please. 好,我们继续好吗?讨论一下今天的重要事务。
ADV (用于考虑接下来想说的内容)哦,嗯 Some people say 'Now' when they are thinking of what to say next.
Now, er, dogs can live to fifteen... 哦,狗能活15年。
Now, erm, obviously some of our listeners may have some ideas. 嗯,对了,显然我们的一些听众可能会有些想法。
ADV (用于委婉地强调请求或命令)好,行 You use now to give a slight emphasis to a request or command.
Come on now. You know you must be hungry... 好,来吧,你肯定已经饿了。
Come and sit down here, now... 好,来,坐在这儿。
Now don't talk so loud and bother him, honey. 亲爱的,好了,别这么大声说话打扰他。
ADV (引出与已讲述内容有关的信息及继续讲述之前需要了解的信息)你看,喏 You can say 'Now' to introduce information which is relevant to the part of a story or account that you have reached, and which needs to be known before you can continue.
My son went to Almeria in Southern Spain. Now he and his wife are people who love a quiet holiday... 我儿子去了西班牙南部的阿尔梅里亚,你看,他和妻子是喜欢过安静假期的那种人。
Now, I hadn't told him these details, so he must have done some research on his own. 你看,我没有告诉他这些细节,因此他一定是自己作了一些调查。
ADV (引出对照)然而,不过 You say 'Now' to introduce something which contrasts with what you have just said.
Now, if it was me, I'd want to do more than just change the locks... 不过,如果是我,我要做的就不仅仅是换锁了。
Now, as for the Democrats, they've been able to use this issue quite effectively to portray the president as insensitive. 然而,对民主党人来说,他们成功利用了这个问题来渲染总统的麻木不仁。
PHRASE 时而;有时 If you say that something happens now and then or every now and again, you mean that it happens sometimes but not very often or regularly.
My father has a collection of magazines to which I return every now and then... 我爸爸收藏了很多杂志,我有时会翻看一下。
Now and again he'd join in when we were playing video games. 我们玩电子游戏时,他偶尔会和我们一起玩。
PHRASE 很快;不久;随时 If you say that something will happen any day now ,any moment now, or any time now, you mean that it will happen very soon.
Jim expects to be sent to Europe any day now... 吉姆预计随时会被派到欧洲去。
Any moment now the silence will be broken. 寂静随时会被打破。
PHRASE (用于转换话题或播报新活动)下面 People such as television presenters sometimes use now for when they are going to start talking about a different subject or presenting a new activity.
And now for something completely different... 下面是完全不同的事情。
Now for a quick look at some of the other stories in the news. 下面我们快速浏览一下其他新闻报道。
PHRASE 刚才;方才 Just now means a very short time ago.
You looked pretty upset just now... 你刚才看上去挺难过的。
I spoke just now of being in love... 我刚才说起坠入爱河的事。
Just now I thought I saw someone. 我想我刚才看到了什么人。
PHRASE 此刻;目前 You use just now when you want to say that a particular situation exists at the time when you are speaking, although it may change in the future.
I'm pretty busy just now... 我现在特别忙。
Mr Goldsworth is not available just now. 戈兹沃斯先生这会儿没时间。
PHRASE 机不可失;勿失良机;错过这村没这店 If you say 'It's now or never', you mean that something must be done immediately, because if it is not done immediately there will not be another chance to do it.
It's now or never, so make up your mind... 机不可失,下决心吧。
Much as I hate to go, it's now or never. 虽然我很讨厌去,但也就此一回了。
CONVENTION (用于劝慰他人)好啦,好啦;得啦,得啦 You can say 'now, now' as a friendly way of trying to comfort someone who is upset or distressed.
'I figure it's all over.'—'Now, now. You did just fine.' “我想都过去了。”——“好啦,好啦,你做得还不错。”
'I want to go with you, Daddy.'—'Now, now, sweetheart.' “爸爸,我想和你一起去。”——“好吧,好吧,小宝贝。”
CONVENTION (用于友好地告诫别人)算了,算了;好了,好了 You can say 'Now, then' or 'Now, now' when you want to give someone you know well a friendly warning not to behave in a particular way.
Now then, no unpleasantness, please... 好了,别争了,好吗?
Now, now Roger, I'm sure you didn't mean it but that remark was in very poor taste. 算了,罗杰,我肯定你不是那个意思,但那话太难听了。