n.
cut your teeth on sth
- 从…中获得初步经验;初次涉足
to do sth that gives you your first experience of a particular type of work
cut a tooth
- 出牙;长出新牙
to grow a new tooth
get your teeth into sth
- 专注于,全力投入(有一定难度的事)
to put a lot of effort and enthusiasm into sth that is difficult enough to keep you interested
- Choose an essay topic that you can really get your teeth into.
选择一个你可以真正悉心钻研的论文题目。
have teeth
- 具有强大威力;有杀伤力
to be powerful and effective
in the teeth of sth
- 不管,不顾,尽管遇到(困难、反对等)
despite problems, opposition, etc.
- The new policy was adopted in the teeth of fierce criticism.
新政策尽管受到强烈的批评,但还是被采用了。
- 顶着,迎着(强风)
in the direction that a strong wind is coming from
- They crossed the bay in the teeth of a howling gale.
他们顶着呼啸的狂风渡过了海湾。
set sb's teeth on edge
- 使感到身体不舒服
to make sb feel physically uncomfortable
- Just the sound of her voice sets my teeth on edge.
我一听到她的声音就浑身不舒服。
bare your teeth
- (凶狠地)龇牙咧嘴
to show your teeth in an aggressive and threatening way
- The dog bared its teeth and growled.
那条狗龇牙咧嘴地低吼。
get the bit between your teeth
- 果断地做某事;义无反顾
to become very enthusiastic about sth that you have started to do so that you are unlikely to stop until you have finished
an eye for an eye (and a tooth for a tooth)
- 以眼还眼;以牙还牙
used to say that you should punish sb by doing to them what they have done to you or to sb else
fight tooth and nail
- 坚决斗争;全力以赴地斗争
to fight in a very determined way for what you want
- The residents are fighting tooth and nail to stop the new development.
居民为制止新的建房开发计划正在全力以赴进行斗争。
gnash your teeth
- (气得)咬牙切齿
to feel very angry and upset about sth, especially because you cannot get what you want
- He'll be gnashing his teeth when he hears that we lost the contract.
他要是听说我们丢了这份合同,准会气得咬牙切齿。
grit your teeth
grit your teeth
Hell's teeth
- (表示气愤或吃惊)可恶,天哪
used to express anger or surprise
kick sb in the teeth
- 粗暴对待某人;使极度失望
to treat sb badly or fail to give them help when they need it
a kick in the teeth
- 极度的失望;沉重的打击;重大的挫折
a great disappointment; sth that hurts sb/sth emotionally
lie through your teeth
- 满口谎言;撒弥天大谎;睁着眼说瞎话
to say sth that is not true at all
- The witness was clearly lying through his teeth.
那证人分明是在睁着眼睛说瞎话。
long in the tooth
- 年齿渐长;老朽
old or too old
red in tooth and claw
- 残酷无情;血淋淋;决不宽容
involving opposition or competition that is violent and without pity
- nature, red in tooth and claw
残酷无情的大自然
by the skin of your teeth
- 刚好;勉强
if you do sth by the skin of your teeth , you only just manage to do it
have a sweet tooth
- 爱吃甜食
to like food that contains a lot of sugar