n.
the finger of suspicion
- 怀疑重点
if the finger of suspicion points or is pointed at sb, they are suspected of having committed a crime, being responsible for sth, etc.
get, pull, etc. your finger out
- 干起来;加把劲
used to tell sb to start doing some work or making an effort
- You're going to have to pull your finger out if you want to pass this exam.
如果你想通过这次考试就得多加把劲。
give sb the finger
- 向某人竖起中指(手背向外以表示侮辱)
to raise your middle finger in the air with the back part of your hand facing sb, done to be rude to sb or to show them that you are angry
have a finger in every pie
- 多管闲事;到处干预
to be involved in a lot of different activities and have influence over them, especially when other people think that this is annoying
have, etc. your fingers in the till
- 偷自己工作单位的钱;内盗;监守自盗
to be stealing money from the place where you work
have/keep your finger on the pulse (of sth)
- 保持了解…的最新情况;掌握…的脉搏
to always be aware of the most recent developments in a particular situation
lay a finger on sb
- 触碰,动…的一根毫毛(意欲伤害某人)
to touch sb with the intention of hurting them physically
- I never laid a finger on her.
我从来没有碰过她。
not put your finger on sth
- 看不出(问题所在);说不出(差别)
to not be able to identify what is wrong or different about a particular situation
- There was something odd about him but I couldn't put my finger on it.
他有些古怪,但我说不出到底是什么。
put/stick two fingers up at sb
- (手背向某人做出V形手势表示侮辱)
to form the shape of a V with the two fingers nearest your thumb and raise your hand in the air with the back part of it facing sb, done to be rude to them or to show them that you are angry
work your fingers to the bone
- 拼命干活
to work very hard
burn your fingers
get your fingers burnt
- (尤指生意上)没有先见之明而蒙受损失,因不慎而吃亏
to suffer as a result of doing sth without realizing the possible bad results, especially in business
- He got his fingers badly burnt dabbling in the stock market.
他糊里糊涂地进入股票市场,结果赔了老本。
be able to count sb/sth on (the fingers of) one hand
- 屈指可数;寥寥无几
used to say that the total number of sb/sth is very small
cross your fingers
- 祈求成功(有时使手指交叉为祈求好运的手势)
to hope that your plans will be successful (sometimes putting one finger across another as a sign of hoping for good luck)
- I'm crossing my fingers that my proposal will be accepted.
但愿我的建议能被采纳。 - Keep your fingers crossed!
祈求好运吧!
not lift/raise a finger/hand (to do sth)
- 一点忙也不帮;油瓶倒了都不扶
to do nothing to help sb
- The children never lift a finger to help around the house.
孩子们从不帮着做家务。
point a/the finger (at sb)
- 指责
to accuse sb of doing sth
- The article points an accusing finger at the authorities.
那篇文章谴责了当局。
let sth slip (through your fingers)
- 错过(机会);失去(机会)
to miss or fail to use an opportunity
- Don't let the chance to work abroad slip through your fingers.
这个出国工作的机会你可不要错过。
snap your fingers
- 打榧子,弹指头(捻拇指作响)
to make a sharp noise by moving your second or third finger quickly against your thumb, to attract sb's attention, or to mark the beat of music, for example
have sticky fingers
- 好偷东西的;有顺手牵羊的毛病
to be likely to steal sth
be all (fingers and) thumbs
- 笨手笨脚;笨拙;手指不灵活
to be awkward with your hands so that you drop things or are unable to do sth