ADV 当时;那时;届时;到时候 Then means at a particular time in the past or in the future.
He wanted to have a source of income after his retirement; until then, he wouldn't require additional money... 他想退休后有份收入;在那以前,他并不需要额外的钱。
The clinic opened for business last October and since then has treated more than 200 people. 该诊所去年 10 月开业,从那以后已经接诊 200 多人。
I spent years on the dole trying to get bands together and I never worried about money then. 我多年靠救济金过活,一直在努力组建乐队,那时,我从不为钱发愁。
ADJ 当时的;那时的 Then is used when you refer to something which was true at a particular time in the past but is not true now.
...the Race Relations Act of 1976 (enacted by the then Labour Government)... 1976 年的《种族关系法》(由当时的工党政府颁布施行)
He was known by many for his role in the then record-breaking robbery of the mail train from Glasgow to London in August 1963. 他曾因参与 1963 年 8 月那起发生在从格拉斯哥开往伦敦的邮政列车上的特大抢劫案而恶名昭著。
Then is also an adverb.
Richard Strauss, then 76 years old, suffered through the war years in silence... 理查德·施特劳斯当时已 76 岁,默默地熬过了战争岁月。
Roberts was then a newly married man. 罗伯茨当时刚结婚。
ADV 然后;之后;接着 You use then to say that one thing happens after another, or is after another on a list.
Add the oil and then the scallops to the pan, leaving a little space for the garlic... 先在锅里放油,然后放入扇贝,留点地方搁蒜。
I felt myself blush. Then I sniffed back a tear... 我觉得自己的脸红了,接着我吸吸鼻子,不让眼泪掉下来。
New mothers have been observed to touch the feet and hands first, then the body, and then the baby's face. 人们注意到,新妈妈们先摸摸婴儿的手和脚,接着是身体,然后是脸。
ADV (口语中)那么,因此 You use then in conversation to indicate that what you are about to say follows logically in some way from what has just been said or implied.
'I wasn't a very good scholar at school.' — 'What did you like doing best then?'... “我在学校时成绩不大好。”——“那么你当时最喜欢做什么呢?”
You're not gonna tell me, are you? Do I have to guess, then?... 你不打算告诉我,是吧?那么,我只好猜猜了?
'I got a load of money out of them.' — 'So you're okay, then.' “我从他们那里弄到很多钱。”——“这么说,你还不错喽。”
ADV (用于话题、谈话的结尾) You use then at the end of a topic or at the end of a conversation.
'I can meet you after work. Six o'clock?'— 'Fine.' — 'Six o'clock, then?'... “我下班后可以和你碰面。6 点可以吗?”——“行啊。”——“那就定 6 点啦?”
He stood up. 'That's settled then.'... 他站起身说,“就这么定了。”
'I'll talk to you on Friday anyway.' — 'Yep. Okay then.' “不管怎样,我星期五和你谈。”——“行,就这么定了。”
ADV (和 now,well,okay 等连用,引出新话题或新观点) You use then with words like 'now', 'well', and 'okay', to introduce a new topic or a new point of view.
Now then, you say you walk on the fields out the back? 那么,你说你在后面的田地里散步?
Well then, I'll put the kettle on and make us some tea... 好吧,我来烧壶水,我们沏点茶喝。
Okay then let me ask how you do that. 好,那我来问问你怎么做的。
ADV 也就是说,总之(引出总结或结论) You use then to introduce a summary of what you have said or the conclusions that you are drawing from it.
This, then, was the music that appeared to dominate the world of serious concert music in the mid-1960s... 这就是 20 世纪 60 年代中期严肃的管弦乐中的主流音乐。
By 1931, then, France alone in Europe was a country of massive immigration. 也就是说,到 1931 年的时候,法国是欧洲唯一一个拥有大量移民的国家。
ADV 那么,则(引导if开头的句子的第二部分,第一部分描述可能的情况,第二部分引入结果) You use then to introduce the second part of a sentence which begins with 'if'. The first part of the sentence describes a possible situation, and then introduces the result of the situation.
If the answer is 'yes', then we must decide on an appropriate course of action... 如果答案是肯定的,那么我们必须商定合适的行动方案。
ADV 毕竟,话说回来,而且(用于句首,或用于 and,but 之后引出对之前所说话的评论或补充) You use then at the beginning of a sentence or after 'and' or 'but' to introduce a comment or an extra piece of information to what you have already said.
We have to do quite a bit of reading, and then we have our ongoing work which would be an essay... 我们要进行大量阅读,而且手头有一篇论文要写。
He sounded sincere, but then, he always did. 他听起来很真诚,可是话说回来,他向来如此。