VERB 感到疑惑;纳闷儿;想弄明白 If you wonder about something, you think about it, either because it interests you and you want to know more about it, or because you are worried or suspicious about it.
I wondered what that noise was... 我纳闷儿那是什么声音。
'He claims to be her father,' said Max. 'We've been wondering about him.'... “他自称是她父亲,”马克斯说,“我们一直都在怀疑他。”
It makes you wonder about the effect on men's behaviour... 这让人怀疑其对男性行为的影响。
'Why does she want to get in there?' Pete wondered... “她为什么想进那里面?”皮特心想。
But there was something else, too. Not hard evidence, but it made me wonder. 但还有些别的东西,虽没有确凿的证据,却让我心生疑惑。
VERB (对…)大为吃惊,惊叹 If you wonder at something, you are very surprised about it or think about it in a very surprised way.
He liked to sit and wonder at all that had happened... 他喜欢坐着对发生的一切惊叹不已。
Walk down Castle Street, admire our little jewel of a cathedral, then wonder at the castle... 沿着城堡街走下去,欣赏我们视若珍宝的教堂,继而叹服于城堡的壮观。
We all wonder you're still alive. 我们都很惊讶你居然还活着。
N-SING 奇事;怪事 If you say that it is a wonder that something happened, you mean that it is very surprising and unexpected.
It's a wonder that it took almost ten years... 这差不多用了10年的时间,真是桩奇事。
The wonder is that Olivier was not seriously hurt. 奥利维尔伤得不重,真是奇迹。
N-UNCOUNT 惊叹;惊奇;惊异 Wonder is a feeling of great surprise and pleasure that you have, for example when you see something that is very beautiful, or when something happens that you thought was impossible.
'That's right!' Bobby exclaimed in wonder. 'How did you remember that?'... “对呀!”博比惊奇地叫道。“你是怎么想起那件事的?”
I was expressing some amazement and wonder at her good fortune... 我对她的好运既惊奇又感叹。
Cross shook his head in wonder. 克罗斯惊奇地摇摇头。
N-COUNT 奇迹;奇观;奇事 A wonder is something that causes people to feel great surprise or admiration.
...a lecture on the wonders of space and space exploration. 关于宇宙奇观和太空探险的讲座
...the wonder of seeing his name in print... 看见他的名字出现在出版物上的诧异
The East Window is a wonder of medieval glazing. 东窗是中世纪玻璃安装工艺的奇迹。
ADJ 神奇的;奇妙的;有奇效的 If you refer, for example, to a young man as a wonder boy, or to a new product as a wonder drug, you mean that they are believed by many people to be very good or very effective.
Mickelson was hailed as the wonder boy of American golf... 米克尔森被誉为美国高尔夫球界的神奇小子。
Dr Williams describes it as a potential wonder drug. 威廉斯医生称其可能会成为特效药。
PHRASE 昙花一现的人(或事物);惊艳一时的人(或事物) If you say that someone or something is a nine-day wonder or a one-day wonder, you disapprove of the fact that they are attracting so much interest and attention, because you think that their popularity will only last for a very short time.
Harry dismissed his old friend's speech as 'a nine-day wonder'... 哈里对老朋友的讲话不屑一顾,称之“火不了多久”。
Some supernova researchers wondered if it might be just a nine-day wonder. 有些超新星研究者怀疑,这可能只是昙花一现。
PHRASE (用于礼貌地请人做事、征求意见或打听消息时)不知…,请问… You can say 'I wonder' if you want to be very polite when you are asking someone to do something, or when you are asking them for their opinion or for information.
I was just wondering if you could help me... 不知您是否能帮我个忙。
I just wonder what you make of all that... 我只是纳闷儿你是怎么看待这一切的。
I'm wondering if that was the spirit in the courtroom, too. 不知这是否也是法庭的精神。
PHRASE 难怪;怪不得;不足为怪 If you say 'no wonder', 'little wonder', or 'small wonder', you mean that something is not surprising.
No wonder my brother wasn't feeling well... 难怪我兄弟感觉不舒服了。
Under such circumstances, it is little wonder that they experience difficulties... 在这种情形下,他们遇到困难就不足为怪了。
Small wonder that he decided to take no part in the debate. 难怪他决定不参加辩论呢。
PHRASE (表示找出某事的原因)难怪,怪不得 You can say 'No wonder' when you find out the reason for something that has been puzzling you for some time.
Brad was Jane's brother! No wonder he reminded me so much of her! 布拉德是简的兄弟!怪不得他老是让我想起她呢!
PHRASE 创造奇迹;产生奇迹 If you say that a person or thing works wonders or does wonders, you mean that they have a very good effect on something.
A few moments of relaxation can work wonders... 放松一会儿就可以收到奇效。
Rushton has done wonders for the industry. 拉什顿创造了行业奇迹。
He must be wondering why everyone is being so beastly to him. 他一定正在纳闷为什么大家都对他如此刻薄。
'I'm waiting for Mary Ann,' she said, 'in case you're wondering.' “我在等玛丽·安,”她说,“要是你想知道的话。”
I was wondering whether you had any comments about that? 请问您对此有何见解?
I tried to fantasize about Christine: those wondering blue eyes, that coppery red hair of hers. 我对克里斯蒂娜想入非非:她那双充满好奇的蓝眼睛、那头红棕色的秀发令人着迷。
Bob turned over to sleep again, wondering how Jupiter and Pete were making out. 鲍勃一面挂念着丘辟特和皮特的生活状况,一面转身又去睡了。
I was just wondering if you might like to go feed the cat 不知道你是否愿意去喂那只猫。
I was wondering if I might talk to you for a moment 不知道我能否跟您谈一会。
We are all wondering why the government is suddenly okaying a brand new school on the island. 我们都很疑惑为什么政府突然批准在岛上建一所新学校。
'Did you find yourself wondering what went wrong?' — 'Precisely.' “你是不是自己也在想哪儿出了问题?”——“确实如此。”
The islanders can do little but sweat it out, wondering whether they will be forced to go and seek a new life elsewhere. 岛民不知道自己是否要被迫去往他处另谋生路,但却无能为力,只好干等。
I was wondering if you might want to take in a movie with me this evening. 不知道今晚你愿不愿意和我一起去看场电影?
I'm wondering whose mother she is then 我很纳闷,那么她是谁的母亲呢?
'He claims to be her father,' said Max. 'We've been wondering about him.' “他自称是她父亲,”马克斯说,“我们一直都在怀疑他。”
I was just wondering if you could help me 不知您是否能帮我个忙。
I'm wondering if that was the spirit in the courtroom, too. 不知这是否也是法庭的精神。
I've been wondering if you yourselves have any idea why she came. 我一直在想,你们自己是否知道她为什么来。
For a whole week he hasn't put in an appearance, so we are wondering what happened to him. 他有整整一周没露面了,所以我们都在想他出了什么事了。
I was wondering where to spend the weekend. 我正在考虑在何处度周末。
He was wondering who the old man could be. 他心里在猜度,这位老人家是谁?
I'd better be getting along, or my husband will be wondering what's happened to me. 我最好走吧,不然我丈夫准会疑惑我出什么事啦。
I was just wondering. 我只不过是好奇而已。
I cannot help but wondering what you have been telling them. 我不禁要想你都跟他们说了什么。
A: I was wondering if you would like to go to the movies with me? 我在想你愿不愿意和我一块儿去看电影?
I was wondering whether you're okay. 我在担心你是否出事了。
I suspect you're wondering what all this is in aid of, he said. I said yes. 我猜想你正纳闷这是怎么回事,他说道。我说是的。
I was wondering whether I should go with them tomorrow. 我在想我是应该明天和一起去。
I was wondering who abducted u, but now I know. 我还在想是谁绑架你了,现在知道了。
I'm wondering if you could have a dinner with me tonight. 我在想您今晚是否愿意和我共进晚餐?
I was wondering if you'd wake up. 我还在想你是不是醒了呢。
Or somebody's gonna be wondering where you disappeared to. 不然有人会问你去了哪里了。