n.
at heart
- 内心里;本质上
used to say what sb is really like even though they may seem to be sth different
- He's still a socialist at heart.
他本质上还是个社会主义者。
break sb's heart
- 使某人很难过;使心碎
to make sb feel very unhappy
- She broke his heart when she called off the engagement.
她取消婚约使他为之心碎。 - It breaks my heart to see you like this.
看到你这个样子我很难过。
by heart
- 单凭记忆;能背诵
using only your memory
- I've dialled the number so many times I know it by heart.
这个号码我拨了很多次,都记住了。 - She's learnt the whole speech off by heart.
她把整篇讲话都背熟了。
close/dear/near to sb's heart
- 为某人所重视关心;为某人所爱
having a lot of importance and interest for sb
from the (bottom of your) heart
- 真诚地;从内心(深处)
in a way that is sincere
- I beg you, from the bottom of my heart, to spare his life.
我诚心诚意地恳求你饶他一命吧。 - It was clearly an offer that came from the heart.
那很明显是由衷的提议。
give sb (fresh) heart
- 激励某人;使某人振作
to make sb feel positive, especially when they thought that they had no chance of achieving sth
give your heart to sb
- 爱上某人;倾心
to give your love to one person
have a heart!
- 发发善心吧;讲点情理吧
used to ask sb to be kind and/or reasonable
have a heart of gold
- 有金子般的心;心肠很好
to be a very kind person
have a heart of stone
- 铁石心肠;冷酷无情
to be a person who does not show others sympathy or pity
heart and soul
- 满腔热忱干劲十足;全心全意
with a lot of energy and enthusiasm
- They threw themselves heart and soul into the project.
他们全心全意地投入了这个项目。
your heart goes out to sb
- 十分同情;怜悯
used to say that you feel a lot of sympathy for sb
- Our hearts go out to the families of the victims.
我们很同情那些受害者的家人。
sb's heart is in their mouth
- 提心吊胆;心提到了嗓子眼儿
somebody feels nervous or frightened about sth
sb's heart is in the right place
- 本意是好的;心眼是好的
used to say that sb's intentions are kind and sincere even though they sometimes do the wrong thing
your heart is not in sth
- 对某事不很感兴趣(或不热衷)
used to say that you are not very interested in or enthusiastic about sth
sb's heart leaps
- 心花怒放
used to say that sb has a sudden feeling of happiness or excitement
sb's heart misses a beat
- 心里咯噔一下(表示突然感到恐惧、兴奋等)
used to say that sb has a sudden feeling of fear, excitement, etc.
sb's heart sinks
- 心里一沉(表示突然感到悲伤或沮丧)
used to say that sb suddenly feels sad or depressed about sth
- My heart sank when I saw how much work there was left.
我看到还有那么多活没干时,心顿时沉了下去。 - She watched him go with a sinking heart .
她心情沉重地看着他走了。
in good heart
- 心情舒畅;兴高采烈
happy and cheerful
in your heart (of hearts)
- 在内心深处;内心强烈地感觉到
if you know sth in your heart , you have a strong feeling that it is true
- She knew in her heart of hearts that she was making the wrong decision.
她心底里明白她在作出错误的决定。
it does sb's heart good (to do sth)
- (看到或听到某事时)使人感到高兴,使人心旷神怡
it makes sb feel happy when they see or hear sth
- It does my heart good to see the old place being taken care of so well.
看到故居被照管得这么好,真叫人高兴。
let your heart rule your head
- 感情用事
to act according to what you feel rather than to what you think is sensible
lose heart
- 丧失信心;泄气
to stop hoping for sth or trying to do sth because you no longer feel confident
lose your heart (to sb/sth)
- 爱上(某人 / 事物)
to fall in love with sb/sth
a man/woman after your own heart
- 趣味相投者;情投意合者
a man/woman who likes the same things or has the same opinions as you
my heart bleeds (for sb)
- (表示不同情或不怜悯)真可怜
used to say that you do not feel sympathy or pity for sb
- ‘I have to go to Brazil on business.’ ‘My heart bleeds for you!’
“我要出差去巴西。”“真够可怜的!”
not have the heart (to do sth)
- 不忍心(做某事)
to be unable to do sth because you know that it will make sb sad or upset
pour out/open your heart to sb
- 向某人敞开心扉;倾诉衷肠
to tell sb all your problems, feelings, etc.
set your heart on sth
have your heart set on sth
- 渴望;一心想要
to want sth very much
take heart (from sth)
- (由于某事)增强信心;重新振作起来
to feel more positive about sth, especially when you thought that you had no chance of achieving sth
- The government can take heart from the latest opinion polls.
政府可以从最近的民意测验中找回信心。
take sth to heart
- 对某事感到烦恼;十分介意(某人的话或行为);耿耿于怀
to be very upset by sth that sb says or does
tear/rip the heart out of sth
- 摧毁…的核心
to destroy the most important part or aspect of sth
to your heart's content
- 尽情地;心满意足
as much as you want
- a supervised play area where children can run around to their heart's content
一处能让孩子们尽情游玩且有人看管的地方
with all your heart/your whole heart
- 完全地;全心全意
completely
- I hope with all my heart that things work out for you.
我衷心希望你一切顺利。
absence makes the heart grow fonder
- 不相见,倍思念
used to say that when you are away from sb that you love, you love them even more
a change of heart
- 改变态度,改变看法(通常指变得更友好、有益等)
if you have a change of heart , your attitude towards sth changes, usually making you feel more friendly, helpful, etc.
cross my heart (and hope to die)
- 我发誓(否则不得好死)
used to emphasize that you are telling the truth or will do what you promise
- I saw him do it─cross my heart.
我看见是他干的,我可以发誓。
be etched on your heart/memory/mind
- 铭记在心;永志不忘;牢记心头
if sth is etched on your memory, you remember it because it has made a strong impression on you
what the eye doesn't see (the heart doesn't grieve over)
- 眼不见(心不烦);眼不见为净
if a person does not know about sth that they would normally disapprove of, then it cannot hurt them
- What does it matter if I use his flat while he's away? What the eye doesn't see…!
我趁他外出时用他的公寓有什么关系呢?反正他又看不见!
find it in your heart/yourself to do sth
- 能做某事;愿意干某事
to be able or willing to do sth
- Can you find it in your heart to forgive her?
你能够做到宽恕她吗? - He couldn't find it in himself to trust anyone again.
他再也不愿意相信任何人了。
out of the goodness of your heart
- 出于(利他主义)好心
from feelings of kindness, without thinking about what advantage there will be for you
- You're not telling me he offered to lend you the money out of the goodness of his heart?
你该不是说他是纯粹出于好心主动借钱给你的吧?
home is where the heart is
- 家乃心之所系
a home is where the people you love are
have sb's interests at heart
- 关心…的幸福成功;暗暗地替…着想
to want sb to be happy and successful even though your actions may not show this
sick at heart
- 十分不快;非常失望
very unhappy or disappointed
sob your heart out
- 悲切地哭泣;很伤心地哭泣
to cry noisily for a long time because you are very sad
steal sb's heart
- 博得某人的欢心
to make sb fall in love with you
strike fear, etc. into sb/sb's heart
- 使某人感到恐惧等
to make sb be afraid, etc.
tear at your heart
tear your heart out
- 使伤心;使心如刀绞;使愁肠寸断
to strongly affect you in an emotional way
warm the cockles (of sb's heart)
- 使人内心感到高兴(或同情)
to make sb feel happy or sympathetic
the way to sb's heart
- 赢得某人喜爱的办法;攻心策
the way to make sb like or love you
- The way to a man's heart is through his stomach (= by giving him good food) .
取得男人欢心的方法就是让他吃好。
wear your heart on your sleeve
- 让感情外露;把心事挂在脸上
to allow your feelings to be seen by other people
win sb's heart
- 赢得(某人)的爱
to make sb love you
young at heart
- 人老心不老
thinking and behaving like a young person even when you are old