v.
before you can say Jack Robinson
- 转瞬间;一刹那;说时迟,那时快
very quickly; in a very short time
go without saying
- 不用说;显而易见
to be very obvious or easy to predict
- Of course I'll help you. That goes without saying .
我当然会帮你。这还用说吗?
have something, nothing, etc. to say for yourself
- 有话(或没什么等)要说
to be ready, unwilling, etc. to talk or give your views on sth
- She doesn't have much to say for herself (= doesn't take part in conversation) .
她没多少要说的。 - He had plenty to say for himself (= he had a lot of opinions and was willing to talk) .
他有一肚子的话要说。 - Late again─what have you got to say for yourself (= what is your excuse) ?
又迟到了——这回你找什么借口呢?
having said that
- (用以缓和语气)虽然这么说,话虽如此
used to introduce an opinion that makes what you have just said seem less strong
- I sometimes get worried in this job. Having said that, I enjoy doing it, it's a challenge.
我有时会为这份工作而感到忧虑。话虽如此,我还是蛮喜欢干的,因为这是一个挑战。
I'll say!
- (明确表示肯定)当然,我敢说,没错
used for emphasis to say ‘yes’
- ‘Does she see him often?’ ‘I'll say! Nearly every day.’
“她常去找他吗?”“没错!差不多天天去。”
I must say
- (强调所发表的意见)
used to emphasize an opinion
- Well, I must say, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week.
嘿,听我说,这是我整整一周听到的最好笑的事情。
I say
- (表示惊奇、震惊等)
used to express surprise, shock, etc.
- I say! What a huge cake!
乖乖!多大的一个蛋糕啊!
- (用以引起注意或引出新的话题)
used to attract sb's attention or introduce a new subject of conversation
- I say, can you lend me five pounds?
我说,你能借我五英镑吗?
it says a lot, very little, etc. for sb/sth
- 说明某人(或某事物)很好(或不怎么样等)
it shows a good/bad quality that sb/sth has
- It says a lot for her that she never lost her temper.
她从没发过脾气,这说明她很有涵养。 - It didn't say much for their efficiency that the order arrived a week late.
订货晚到了一个星期,可见他们的效率难以恭维。
I wouldn't say no (to sth)
- (表示想要或愿意接受某物)
used to say that you would like sth or to accept sth that is offered
- I wouldn't say no to a pizza.
我倒是想来块比萨饼。 - ‘Tea, Brian?’ ‘I wouldn't say no.’
“喝杯茶,布赖恩?”“好哇。”
least said soonest mended
- 只要没人再说,事情就会过去
a bad situation will pass or be forgotten most quickly if nothing more is said about it
the less/least said the better
- 少说为妙
the best thing to do is say as little as possible about sth
never say die
- 别泄气;别气馁;不言放弃
do not stop hoping
not say boo to a goose
- 非常胆怯;十分温和
to be very shy or gentle
- He's so nervous he wouldn't say boo to a goose.
他紧张得连大气都不敢喘。
not to say
- (引出语气更重的描述)即使不是…,虽不能说…
used to introduce a stronger way of describing sth
- a difficult, not to say impossible, task
即便不是办不到,也是难办到的一项任务
say cheese
- (照相前请人微笑时说)笑一笑
used to ask sb to smile before you take their photograph
say no (to sth)
- 拒绝;否定
to refuse an offer, a suggestion, etc.
- If you don't invest in this, you're saying no to a potential fortune.
你如果不在这上面投资,那是存心不想发财。
say no more
- 我早知道了;还用你说
used to say that you understand exactly what sb means or is trying to say, so it is unnecessary to say anything more
- ‘They went to Paris together.’ ‘Say no more!’
“他们一起去了巴黎。”“我早知道了!”
say your piece
- 说出心里话
to say exactly what you feel or think
say what?
- (表示惊奇)你说什么
used to express surprise at what sb has just said
- ‘He's getting married.’ ‘Say what?’
“他快结婚了。”“你说什么?”
say when
- (给饮料或食物时说)够了请说一声
used to ask sb to tell you when you should stop pouring a drink or serving food for them because they have enough
that is to say
- 换句话说;也就是说
in other words
- three days from now, that is to say on Friday
三天以后——也就是说星期五
that's not saying much
- 也没什么了不起;这说明不了什么
used to say that sth is not very unusual or special
- She's a better player than me, but that's not saying much (= because I am a very bad player) .
她比我高明,但那也没什么了不起(因为我很差)。
that said
- (用以缓和语气)话虽如此
used to introduce an opinion that makes what you have just said seem less strong
there's no saying
- 说不准;很难说
used to say that it is impossible to predict what might happen
- There's no saying how he'll react.
很难说他会有何种反应。
there's something, not much, etc. to be said for sth/doing sth
- 有(或没有太多等)理由去做(或相信、同意)某事
there are/are not good reasons for doing sth, believing sth or agreeing with sth
to say the least
- 毫不夸张地说
without exaggerating at all
- I was surprised, to say the least.
毫不夸张地说,我感到吃惊。
to say nothing of sth
- 更不用说…;而且还
used to introduce a further fact or thing in addition to those already mentioned
- It was too expensive, to say nothing of the time it wasted.
这太贵了,更不用说它浪费的时间了。
well said!
- 说得好;完全赞同
I agree completely
- ‘We must stand up for ourselves.’ ‘Well said, John.’
“我们必须自己起来保护自己。”“说得好,约翰。”
what do/would you say (to sth/doing sth)
- 你同意…吗;你看…好不好
would you like sth/to do sth?
- What do you say to eating out tonight?
今晚到外边吃饭,怎么样? - Let's go away for a weekend. What do you say?
我们出去过周末,你说好不好?
what/whatever sb says, goes
- 凡是…说的,都得照办;无论…说什么,都能行得通
a particular person must be obeyed
- Sarah wanted the kitchen painted green, and what she says, goes.
萨拉想把厨房刷成绿色,而她说什么,就得照办。
whatever you say
- (因不想争论而同意)由你,随你
used to agree to sb's suggestion because you do not want to argue
when all is said and done
- 说到底;毕竟;归根到底
when everything is considered
- I know you're upset, but when all's said and done it isn't exactly a disaster.
我知道你挺沮丧的,但说到底,事情并没什么大不了的。
who can say (…)?
- 谁知道(…)
used to say that nobody knows the answer to a question
- Who can say what will happen next year?
谁能说得出明年会发生什么事?
who says (…)?
- (表示不同意)谁说(…)
used to disagree with a statement or an opinion
- Who says I can't do it?
谁说我干不了这个?
who's to say (…)?
- (表示说不定某事会发生或本来会发生了)谁说得准(…)
used to say that sth might happen or might have happened in a particular way, because nobody really knows
- Who's to say we would not have succeeded if we'd had more time?
要是时间更充裕,没准儿我们就已成功了,谁说得准呢?
you can say that again
- 让你说对了;一点没错;正是这样
I agree with you completely
- ‘He's in a bad mood today.’ ‘You can say that again!’
“他今天情绪不好。”“让你说对了!”
you can't say fairer (than that)
- (出价时说)再公道不过了
used to say that you think the offer you are making is reasonable or generous
- Look, I'll give you £100 for it. I can't say fairer than that.
你看,我出100英镑买它,这再公道不过了。
you don't say!
- 我就知道;不会吧;不至于吧
used to express surprise
- ‘They left without us.’ ‘You don't say!’ (= I'm not surprised)
“他们撇下我们自个儿走了。”“真的吗?”
you said it!
- (同意对方所作而碍于礼貌自己不便作出的评价)这话可是你说的
used to agree with sb when they say sth about themselves that you would not have been rude enough to say yourself
- ‘I know I'm not the world's greatest cook.’ ‘You said it!’
“我知道我的饭菜做得不是太好。”“这话可是你说的!”
- (同意对方的提议)正合我心意
used to agree with sb's suggestion
I dare say
- 我想;很可能;大概
used when you are saying that sth is probable
- I dare say you know about it already.
你大概已经知道了。
enough said
- 无须再讲;不必多说
used to say that you understand a situation and there is no need to say any more
- ‘He's a politician, remember.’ ‘Enough said.’
“记住,他是一个政客。”“不用多说了。”
I'm glad to say (that…)
- (表示对某种情况感到高兴)我很高兴地说
used when you are commenting on a situation and saying that you are happy about it
- Most teachers, I'm glad to say, take their jobs very seriously.
我很高兴地说,多数老师工作都很认真。
let us say
- (提建议或举例)譬如说,比方说,例如
used when making a suggestion or giving an example
- I can let you have it for, well let's say £100.
我可以把这东西卖给你,嗯,比如说给我100英镑吧。
mean to say
- (强调要说的话,或问对方是否真是这个意思)意思是说
used to emphasize what you are saying or to ask sb if they really mean what they say
- I mean to say, you should have known how he would react!
我的意思是说,你本应料到他会作何反应! - Do you mean to say you've lost it?
你是说你把那东西给弄丢了?
if you don't mind me/my saying so…
- (批评等之前说)你不会在意我这么说吧
used when you are going to criticize sb or say sth that might upset them
- That colour doesn't really suit you, if you don't mind my saying so.
这颜色并不十分适合你——我这么说,你不会介意吧。
needless to say
- 不必说;不用说
used to emphasize that the information you are giving is obvious
- The problem, needless to say, is the cost involved.
不用说,问题是所涉及的费用。
put/place sth on (the) record
be/go on (the) record (as saying…)
- 公开发表(意见等)
to say sth publicly or officially so that it may be written down and repeated
- He didn't want to go on the record as either praising or criticizing the proposal.
他不想公开赞扬或批评这项提议。
no sooner said than done
- 说干就干
used to say that sth was, or will be, done immediately
I'm sorry to say
- (表示某事令人失望)我遗憾地说
used for saying that sth is disappointing
- He didn't accept the job, I'm sorry to say.
我很遗憾,他不接受那项工作。
suffice (it) to say (that)…
- 无须多说;只需说…就够了
used to suggest that although you could say more, what you do say will be enough to explain what you mean
not have a good word to say for sb/sth
- 从不说…的好话
to never say anything good about sb/sth
- Nobody had a good word to say about him.
没有一个人说过他好。
n.
have your say
- 有机会充分发表意见
to have the opportunity to express yourself fully about sth
- She won't be happy until she's had her say.
她要把话都说出来才舒畅。